As I have previously stated, I love to share a personal side with you on my photography blog.
I've never really been too keen on setting new years resolutions. I've always kind of thought that they tend to set you up for future disappointment or when setting them, you can be too hard on yourself. So instead of resolutions this year, I have decided to set a theme. This year's theme is "Strength".
Last year, I spread myself far far far too thin and committed myself to too many things. And they were all things that I had to give 100% of myself to. This left hardly any of myself for myself, and it wore me down. So this year, particularly in these early months, I want to build back up my strength in many ways. And I'll tell you what, these past couple weeks off, have been just blissful!
* I vow to hopefully never spread myself that thin again.
* In case you didn't know, I have struggled with insomnia for years. It's the pits. I would never wish it on anyone! I want to take care of myself physically by exercising more so I can sleep better.
* My yoga instructor said something that really struck me. She said that in your late teens and all through your 20s is when you build bone density and strength to draw from for your entire life, and that it's critical to build it up during that time. I was like, "goodness gracious! I need to exercise more!" I want to be a capable old lady who can lift her gallon of milk so I better start building up my bone density now!
* I of course want to become more spiritually strong this year so that I can hopefully better oveercome my weaknesses. More regularly attending church (Yay for the schedule change!) and by doing things on my own to help build up that strength. A church leader of mine also said something that really stuck with me. He said that often times the Lord won't take away your burdens or hardships, but instead when you rely on Him, He will make you STRONGER to better withstand them. I need to become stronger.
* As hard as it is for me (because I honestly love everyone and want to be everyone's friend), I need to put a little distance between myself and those that tend to bring me down. I had a couple people this past year who really brought me down. As much as I would love to be best friends with everyone, I need to remember what a wise older gentleman said in church yesterday, "A true friend is someone who makes you feel good about yourself when you are in their presence." Dear friends who are so positive and great, I love you! And hope that I have expressed my gratitude to you. If not, I resolute to show more appreciation this year. :)
...Thus, I will become stronger. :)
What is YOUR theme this year? What do YOU want to do to make 2011 the best year yet?
And because a post is no fun without a picture, here is me and Brant when we went whale watching in Maui last month. :)